Thursday, September 30, 2010

Metal Thrashing Mad!!!

Title: Brutal Legend

Developed by: Double Fine

I'm starting this post off proclaiming my love for Jack Black (and my hatred for Jack White). I've dug Jack Black since the first time I saw him in Tim Burton's high underrated "Mars Attacks!" And, I worship at the alter of the D (that's Tenacious D for those of your with head trauma). Dude makes me laugh and I've styled my physique after his. I love singing "Master Exploder" on Rock Band.

So, you can imagine my excitement when Brutal Legend came out last year. It features Jack Black voicing uber-Roadie Eddie Riggs. It's developed by Tim Schaefer and his studio Double Fine, which gave the world the amazing and under appreciated "Pyschonauts." It has an amazing heavy metal soundtrack. The game features voices from Ozzy Osbourne, Lita Ford, Rob Halford, and Lemmy Killmeister. It takes place in a heavy metal world were music is used as a weapon or to heal wounds.

We begin with Eddie, wishing for the days when music was pure. His fellow roadie ask him if he means the 70s. Eddie reponse is this "no, earlier, like, the early 70s." It's Classic Schaefer humor right out of the gate. Eddie finds himself roadieing for a nu-rap/metal poser band called Kabbage Boy. He's built and elaborate set for them. During the show, the stage collapses and Eddie is killed. Blood drips onto his belt buckle, an awesome heavy metal demon skull, lights flash, and Eddie awakens transported to a magical realm. From there, he helps begin a rebellion to help overthrow the vile Lord Doviculous and introduce the people to the power of Metal!

This game is a ton of fun. You can drive around in your super hot rod, called the Deuce, mowing down baddies and looking for bound dragon, all while listening to tracks from The D, Anthrax, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, and a ton of other Metal bands. The story is wacky and the graphics fit the fun.

Two complaints. The battles are done as a real-time strategy game. This is where you command fellow troops to attack and defend on the battlefield. I loathe RTS games. I've struggled through each battle.

The second complaint is a major one and now you find out that I did not finish this game. That is because once you reach 90% completion in the game, there is a bug that corrupts your save file if you save the game. I was 19 hours in and had just broken 90% complete and blammo! Stuck on the loading screen. Double Fine has released a patch but published EA has not released it. C'mon EA, get off your ass and fix my game so I can finish.

90% in and I can say Brutal Legend is definitely worth the time. Just don't "Quit and Save" once you hit 90% complete. If you like Jack Black, Metal, and an awesomely original story, pick up Brutal Legend and bang your head!


Next Level: Half Life

No comments: